Saturday, July 11, 2009

Clear Creek Canyon

Danielle and I met our good friend Brian Rhodes up Clear Creek Canyon to do some sport climbing. I have been battling my elbow tendinitis for a few months now and sadly, it is not getting any better. I decided to take a little bit of time off from bouldering and maybe try some rope climbing.
We met Brian up at the Wall of the 90's. I have done maybe one roped route this year and was kind of psyched to do some fun routes. Danielle has been doing a ton of roped climbing because there are way more routes for her to work on than there are boulder problems to do in the front range. Her nursing program is insane and she can't get out as much as she would like, so I am happy to see her psyched on climbing once again. I wanted to hang with my wife, so rope climbing I did. Once there, we got on a couple of long 5.10+ which were really fun. After the sun came around the corner, we headed over to the Wall of Justice. The routes there are super steep and super fun. Brian flashed The Great Escape, 12c and his friend worked on the route for a short bit to iron out some of the moves. Danielle wanted me to go before her so I went to battle. I was pumped out of my mind three bolts in! I think I may have lost a little bit since I have backed off of climbing to once a week. I DO NOT do anything longer than a few moves at a time since all I do is boulder, so rope climbing is is a bit intimidating. The route started off with some great holds and then got REALLY steep to an ok block you match on and then bust a big move to another descent hold. I got pumped as shit at the crux and tried really hard to finish the lip turn to a couple of slopy moves over the lip to then barley clip the chains. Danielle jumped on the route and did really well. She worked the moves up to the lip turn and wanted to be lowered before the rain came in. Pretty much as soon as she touched down, the rain came. It was hot as shit before the rain, but as soon as the rain had ended, it got even hotter. It felt like we were in South America with all the humidity. We all packed up and took off. I had a really fun day climbing routes with my wife Danielle and our good friend Brian Rhodes. I was even more psyched that rope climbing did not seem to wreck my elbow nearly as badly as bouldering. I really love to boulder, but if I can climb routes for now and not hurt my elbow, I am happy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment