Thursday, February 25, 2010

Outdoor Industry Becoming Conscious


Oh yeah, these babies are sexy!


I have read all of the reviews on the Nike Lunar Glides+ and I have to say, these bad boys rock! I have gone to various running stores and have been fitted a couple of times. One place said I needed shoes with more support, while another said I was fairly neutral. I purchased a pair of Nike AirZoom Triax 13 to help with my overpronated stride. On one of my long runs, my knees and toes started to hurt so I started to my own research. The description for the Lunar Glides went as such, The LUNAR GLIDE'S DYNAMIC SUPPORT system responds to a runner's changing needs, constantly adapting to your stride to deliver just the right amount of comfort and support. LunarLite cushioning provides excellent shock absorption and responsiveness for a bouncy ride. A wedge of firm foam on the back side of the midsole offers pronation support for those who need it. 
Once I tried these on and actually ran in them, I was totally blown away. They seem to have great response with a very fluid heal in to toe out flow. The heal section of the shoe is mildly rounded which I think decreases the clunky feeling of some shoes. I am psyched to do a long run in these bad boys to see how comfy they are at mile 8 once again.



I have been getting into running a bit this winter. While at the Out Door Retail Show for Evolv Sports, I found myself over in the running shoe area whenever I got the chance. Being the shoe whore that I am, I found it very intriguing to check out the new running shoe technologies.
One of the coolest technologies I saw was Brook’s MoGo, a biodegradable midsole. The midsoles are designed to break down in landfills within 20 years. Along with Brooks, much of the running shoes out there are utilizing recycled materials on their uppers, water based adhesives and other recycled materials within their midsoles. Check out Brook’s environmental involvements at, http://www.brooksrunning.com/Green+Room/

Nike has had their recycling program for some time and is called the “Nike Reuse a Shoe Program”. http://www.nikereuseashoe.com/ Nike utilizes their recycled material for a plethora of athletic services that includes, children’s playgrounds, weight room flooring, outdoor synthetic courts, running tracks, indoor wood courts, and many more applications that are listed on their website.

Another company I found super intriguing was New Balance. Their line of recycled running shoes, the New Balance 70, http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceME070SN.htm were cool looking and super light.  Along with their recycled running shoes, their environmental quest is note worthy as well.  You can check out what New Balance does to be more environmentally conscious at, http://www.newbalance.com/responsible-leadership/#/ei/eihome/

At Evolv, we have been trying to move the climbing industry forward with our recycled materials within our climbing shoe line, called EcoTrax, http://evolvesports.com/traxrubber.htm

I am super psyched to see all of the outdoor industry manufactures trying to decrease the footprint on this wonderful planet of ours. Not only are the products becoming more environmentally friendly, but they are getting cooler and cooler looking as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment